Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Slap in the Face for me and You

Lately I've been thinking about how I've spent most of my life slightly over weight. I was never the thin girl or the healthy girl. Looking back I would have never called myself fat outside of a short stint in elementary school but definitely wasn't healthy.

Ready for the slap? Here it comes. Being over weight was a choice that I made. By making the choice to eat whatever I wanted and to sit on the couch watching TV versus exercising I made the choice that those things were more important to me than losing weight and being healthy. After spending so much time and energy feeling bad about not being that healthy girl I wanted to be I slowly forgot about the "choice factor" in all of this. It became this big thing that was out of my control. I was destined to be a slightly overweight girl my whole life. It was the card that was dealt to me and I would just have to accept that.

S L A P

This was my choice! I have control over what I eat, I have control over how much work my body does or doesn't do, I can decide if I'm going to give in to being "that girl" my whole life, or if I am going to step up to the plate, take responsibility for my life and change. If we traded in the time that we spend complaining about how we don't like how we look or feel with exercise and healthy eating we would be in the best shape of our lives.

So where does this start? How do we change? I think it really starts with training our brains to think differently. We need to start thinking that it's possible to be different than we think we have to be. We need to stop with all of the excuses that we let rule our lives and thoughts. We need to want something more for ourselves than the standards that we've been living up to. Ultimately, we need to have hope.

Those are all of my thoughts for now. I hope that this cry for hope fills your heart and inspires you to be something more than you think you have to be.

1 comment: